What Is Corona Virus?
Corona is a large group of viruses which can infect both humans and animals with cold-related diseases. The intensity of the infection ranges from common colds to acute respiratory syndrome.
However, the new strain of Coronavirus, called 2019-nCoV, is a novel virus to humans. So the information related to the disease, including symptoms and means of treatment is limited.
The CDC, in cooperation with WHO and international experts, are working to combat the virus.
What are the Symptoms of the Coronavirus?
- Shortness of breath
In advanced cases, the patient can have serious complications that can result in death, such as:
- Severe Pneumonia
- Kidney Failure
How is the Coronavirus Transmitted?
- Direct contact with an infected patient.
- Droplets from patient’s coughing and sneezing
- Contact with patient’s belongings followed by touching your nose or mouth
- Keep your hands clean at all times. Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer WHY? Washing your hands with soap and water or using alcohol-based hand rub kills viruses that may be on your hands.
- Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between you and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. WHY: When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth may contain the virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including COVID-19 virus (Coronavirus) if the person coughing has the disease.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth WHY? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter the body and make you sick.
- People coughing persistently or sneezing should stay indoors or keep a social distance, but not mix with a crowd. WHY: Will decrease chances of spread and keep everyone safe.
- Ensure that you and people around you follow good respiratory hygiene by covering mouths and noses with a handkerchief or tissue while sneezing or coughing. You can also sneeze or cough into your sleeve at the bent elbow. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately. WHY: Droplets spread virus. By following good respiratory hygiene, you protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.
- Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19 through official channels on TV and Radio, the Social Media, including the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health. WHY: National and local authorities will have the most up to date information.
- Stay indoors if you feel unwell with symptoms, such as fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. Please call Lagos State Emergency hotlines 08023169485 or 08033565529 or 08052817243 which are available day and night or if outside Lagos please reach out to NCDC on 0800970000
It is Important to stay calm during times like this. Do not get paranoid, do not overreact. Just follow the steps that are outlined and We ALL will be safe